Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Carolina Ball

I was a great disappointment to Kev in college. While other friends were sneaking their boyfriends into basketball games at the Dean Dome, I didn't even stand in line for tickets. I think we went to one game the whole time. And, let me point out, those were the glory years. Dean Smith at his best and an NCAA championship my senior year. What was I thinking?

Oh how times have changed. Our marriage definitely brought out the inner fan in me as I realized the intensity with which a Duke Alum felt the connection with their team. The whole Cameron Crazy is an identity that sticks. Once one, always one. The Tarheel/Devil combo is a particularly tricky combination. With such an intense scholastic rivalry, it is no surprise that our marriage heats up during basketball season.

We used to joke that we planned our children's births around March Madness. And, I have to admit that it is pretty much true. Louisa was born in April, the twins in mid-Feb. I came home from the field to give birth, for a reasonable blood supply and cable TV. (Joe was the exception, of course, he was born within days of the World Cup final.)

The first year back from the field, we taught our kids two big things (you gotta love the freedom of homeschooling)... the electoral college for the presidential election and how to fill in their NCAA brackets.

So here we are on the cusp of March and with bated breath I have realized that UNC (unlike the painful, painful season last year) might actually be a contender. So as things begin to heat up, our family is split right down the middle. Joe and Kev pull for Duke and pretty much any team that plays UNC (typical). Louisa and I are hard core Carolina fans, but find it in our hearts to cheer for any team in the ACC (even, gasp, Duke). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year we'll have a vested interest in the NCAA right up to the very end.

3 comments:

jlb said...

So glad you're back. I've missed your blogs. Always looked forward to seeing what you're reading. Janis

Roberta Simmons said...

Me, too. Glad you're back. You write so well from the heart and the "mom" in me identifies with your every sentence. You describe the angst of trying to balance it all perfectly!

A die-hard Carolina fan here . . . but I cheer for whoever plays Duke. I cannot cheer for them (gag!) even when they are the ACC offering to a game!

P.S. just so you know who I am ... our youngest daughter and her husband (Mary & Knox Campbell) visited you guys in Bundibugyo with Josiah Bancroft in 2007. She's a Carolina graduate (as is our older daughter and my husband, too), I grew up in Charlotte, and my dad taught at Chapel Hill in the 1940's!) Hence, our Tar Heel fanaticism & total allegiance.

Looking forward to following your journey. Our first child was born right smack in the middle of my graduate work . . . so I totally understand the chaos and mixed feelings you describe. I finished up, after taking a year and a half off, going part time until I finished. I so remember having to come to terms with myself and my worst shortcomings ... the ones I wished I could ignore and have them all go away and leave "perfect mom" in their place! You have perfectly captured and described my life at that time in your post!

Blessings to all of you . . .

Unknown said...

Nice your post.
We have provided a good data on your site, it is very usefully for you Rojgar Result visit here.