Thursday, February 3, 2011

Too little too late

Yeah, so the Tuesday, Thursday plan is not going to work out. Mostly because I started out too late, but also because I know my tendency to procrastinate. I have 14 more lectures, about 2,000 pages to read, 6 forum discussion entries, a 12-15 page paper and three exams. All which need to be finished by April. My new plan is to pretend that all of this is due by March. Hopefully my procrastination/adrenaline rush will kick in soon and I'll be a machine of academic intensity. Perhaps instead of using the extra umph I get from my evening cup of coffee to watch another episode on TV, I'll actually read another chapter or two for class after the kids are in bed.

For now I'm pondering research paper topics. So far I like comparing the "eternal subordination" theory about the Trinity with prevailing masculine and feminine worldviews. You know, the whole who is greater God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit? Is there an inherent hierarchy, in which one is greater. Does the Son proceed from the Father? Does the Spirit proceed from the Son? Does the Father proceed from either? Does the Son proceed from the Spirit? Who submits to whom and for what purpose?

I also am intrigued with Feminist Theology and the notion that masculine language in the bible prohibits women in particular from full participation. I get it, kind of. But I must admit to being more annoyed that either side seems more interested in shoring up power. And disgruntled that bringing in the feminine can sometimes introduce aspects of former pagan worship into a church who claims to worship a jealous God. There's a tight rope there, that I don't want to jump up and down on. As I female theologian and feminist, will I inherit feminist theology whether I want it or not? Shouldn't I know a bit more about what that means?

And last, what about the role of Scripture? We talk about the inspiration of Scripture. We talk about the Word of God. Surely the Bible is important. But for those of us who could be accused of "bible thumping" our knowledge of the OT seems to be rather inadequate and don't all those verses that talk about Scripture being God-breathed actually refer to the OT? As I read more about the whole Sola Scriptura argument, I do have to wonder if the Word of God (scripture) is trying to replace the Word of God (Jesus). Do we mistakenly believe that the second coming has already arrived in the closed cannon of scripture? And there is the whole protestant reformation thing... where the preeminence of scripture and its own authority came about as a way to challenge the church's and the pope's authority. Is it all really a power struggle? Don't even get me started on how verse plucking can give anyone a "clear reading" on any topic under the sun and all with the full weight of "because God says so" behind them.

Somehow I need to focus in on one of these or a completely different topic and begin to read....

2 comments:

jlb said...

I can't wait to see your answers to whichever of those questions you decide to follow. Can I pick my favorite?

Unknown said...

Hey, JD!

Glad to see you back online again, though maybe this is part of the rabbit trails that distract you :) Glad to hear you are studying, but 2 days a week may not get you through! At least you read fast - that helps! Hope the work is making progress now. Balance - yeah! If we only knew how to do that best each day! Something always seems to be off a little. Thinking of you! God bless!

Jennifer