Friday, May 14, 2010

5K

So, I'm a bit nervous. For 8 weeks now, Kevin has been in serious training for a 5K. Each day of the week has a different workout plan which he has been following religiously. Slowly but surely, his body is responding and gradually getting back into the shape he was in... well... nearly 20 years ago. Yet I find that for me the process is as much an emotional recovery as it is a physical one. My anxiousness lingers quite stubbornly. Fortunately, he runs with a heart monitor attached to his chest, and usually runs on a treadmill in front of a group of fitness center staff trained in advanced CPR with a AED labeled and in clear sight. The fitness center itself is attached to the emergency room of our local hospital. A hospital that also follows the cooling procedure for sudden cardiac death that helped to save his life last year. Nice, right? Baby steps.
Only the problem is this 5K race is not run in the fitness center. It is, of course, OUTSIDE. Kev is very patient with me and has been slowly easing me into a more normal, less medically intensive, less supervised situation for him. For several Sundays, his "easy run" has been around campus (granted where 700 people are certified in CPR, where multiple AED's are strategically located and clearly marked AND the fire department and hospital are within 1-5 minutes, but still....) We refer to this as his "big boy" run.
Just last week he announced that he wanted to do a dry run of the race route. Gasp. Was he kidding? "I'm just not sure I'm emotinally ready for that." With great patience he explained he would be running with a race buddy. A friend from school who also runs, who is certified in CPR and is a retired nurse. He did fine and I continue to stretch towards acceptance that running out of my sight won't kill him.
So tomorrow is the big day. Louisa's school is hosting it's annual fundraiser... a 5K "Get Fit in May" race. Louisa and Joe will do a 1 mile fun run, Nate and Savannah will do 1/2 miles all starting at 8:30am. Kev will run the 5K at 9:30. I will be on the sidelines actively squashing any panic inducing thoughts. Please pray... both for Kev's run (safety, stamina etc.), but also for my ability to rejoice with him and celebrate this milestone.

1 comment:

DrsMyhre said...

May Kevin run and not grow faint, lifted on the wings of the Eagle. Practically speaking, JD, if God went to so much trouble to save him last time, I doubt it was just to have him go down on the fun run. But I feel for you, your role on the sideline will be the most strenuous of the day. Let us know how the whole family fares!